Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Renaissance Man For The Modern Day

So I hear that women now a days want a guy who can cook, clean, fix cars, fix the house, re-do bathrooms, paint, tinker with gadgets, give great massages, decorate in a non-tacky manner, make anything out of duct tape, and pretty much solve any of the worlds problems with a paper clip. Well... I only know of 2 people who can possible fit those requirements with ease with enough swagger to do so with only 1 hand.

1- The Dos Equis man
2- MacGyver
Sooo... unless you're one of those 2 men in this sense, it's a good guess you're probably not Mr. Perfect.

That being said, it's not uncommon for today's modern man to take the little steps in life to be a bit more self sufficient and able to not rely on a woman to fill in with alot of the "traditional roles" that our better halves should fill. The past few years in my lil' circle of manly man hetero life partners... or bestfriends... or bff''s I've come to notice and see how many of us now cook very ornate meals or even decorate with a sense of style that would give the Fab 5 (the queer eye for the straight guy ppl) a run for their money. But one thing amongst the skills that was once dominated by mom and a few girlfriends of time past that I have found myself up in arms in and trying to take with a vengeance like the great Khan himself...

Sewing.

I had a few scrub pants that over time has worn through the stitching and some just very poorly made ( go fig. for bargain scrubs eh?)and figured instead of buying new ones, why not just fix them? Shouldn't be THAT hard right? In the past I've hand sewn things together but never via machine, so I opted to try that route since $3 spool of thread vs. $10-30 a pair of scrub pants each to replace them didn't sound that enticing. So like many experiments in life before we partake on an unknown path we do research. Out of the 20 or so women I talked to at work... only 1 knew how to use a sewing machine. (-.-) fail. So that option quickly being shoved out the door I turned to a woman who has never failed me in questions like this. Mom :)

So after a quick and simple instruction session...which I failed to listen to properly, I read the instructions and figured out how to use the newly found tool in my arsenal of toys of creation. With that said I successfully repaired my scrubs and saved me x amount of dollars... as well as made a few pillowcases as well while practicing and figuring out how this dam thing works.

Next project that I want to cross off my list before the end of September, a good pair of homemade scrub pants and 3/4 pants for men (both from scratch). Will keep ya posted as projects progress. Who knows, maybe I could be the next in line of the famous heterosexual clothes designers =P

- Calvin Klein
- Oscar de la Renta
- Christian Lacroix
- Roberto Cavalli
- Salvatore Ferragamo
- Marc Ecko
- P.Diddy
- Max Azria (bcbgmaxazria)
- Hermes

... me? :D



No comments:

Post a Comment